Who We Are
"We exist to see lives, the city, and the world changed by the gospel."
Refuge is a group of Jesus followers who desire to impact the City of Los Angeles and beyond with the reconciling and redemptive power of his Gospel.
Our story is a beautiful picture of how the Gospel brings together the most unlikely people. Together while serving at Redeemer Church of Burbank, our core team was formed around a common mission of renewal in our city. From a small study of 7 vastly different individuals serving at a local rehab, we began to dream of a church where everyone worshipped together. We watched as the Gospel united us, and we prayed for a movement in our city where the church wasn't separated by class, culture, and race. We desired to see a church that impacted our city for generations to come. Little did we know that God was leading us to plant Refuge LA. In the winter of 2012 we began gathering as a small group and we officially launched in May of 2013.
Refuge continues to watch God transform lives, raise up leaders, and bring together a phenomenal group of Jesus followers who are passionate about reaching our city and seeing it transformed by the Gospel.
We love Los Angeles!
Los Angeles is a city with many dreams and little hope. From the hip cafe's where young actors aspire to be movie stars, to the immigrant communities plagued by gang violence and fading hope in El Sueño Americano, everyone is a friend if you can help them progress. LA is a city of transplants; things are rebuilt every 5 minutes and brokenness is masked by palm trees and retro-fitted condominiums. Communities still feel the effects of early redlining and segregation goes further than color; everyone is part of a click or crowd, seeing themselves as superior to those who differ than them. In Los Angeles, our city needs more than cheap slogans and another promise at temporal joy and accomplishment; our city needs a new hope, and a new society; our city needs a Refuge; our city needs the Church.
Los Angeles is our favorite city on the planet. The immense diversity and the presence of people from every culture of the world allows us to experience the beauty of God's creative tapestry. As a global city, we have the opportunity to see the Gospel transcend culture and reach the farthest most point of God's creation. In Los Angeles, we have the opportunity to experience a sample of what God's magnificent Kingdom is will feel like.
What makes Refuge beautiful is you!
The Church is not made up of one class, culture, or ethnic group; the Gospel is for the nations. The Church, as a people, display the beauty of the Gospel not only in how we live, but in our very appearance we testify to the greatness of God's redemptive work in Jesus Christ. The ground is level at the foot of the cross, and the grace of the suffering King Jesus makes it impossible for any Christian to see themselves as superior to another! In a society that's tragically divided by class, culture, race, and any other superiority complex, the Church is a safety, a reconciled community, a beacon of hope to a world that is hopeless. Our dream is to transcend all walls of hostility and see the Gospel unite our city under the banner of Jesus Christ, bringing redemption to all areas of hurt and brokenness. Our dream is to reconcile Los Angeles to the Father and reconcile our city to one another. At Refuge, we give no preference over another to any class (Race, Socio-Economic, Culture) of people and we actively pray and seek (Matt. 6:10) to experience the Kingdom of God now as it will be in Heaven (Rev. 7:9).
We are a multiplying church!
We are not about our own piece of the pie. Refuge LA is, and always will be, about the Kingdom of God and saturating the world with churches who are about this Kingdom. Refuge from the very outset is very active in church-planting. It is our dream to continue to plant churches that plant churches.
Core Values (R6)
Our Core Values are what drive everything we do at Refuge LA.
- REVERE God in Everything- We believe that true Christian life and freedom is found in a deep relationship with the Father, through the Son, and by the power of the Holy Spirit; everything we do at Refuge flows from this core value. (Deut. 6:5)
- RELATE to One Another- We believe that at the core of our existence, humans were created for communion, both with God, and with one another. At Refuge, we are deeply committed to experiencing the power and presence of God through meaningful relationships, partnering together, for the building up of God’s people, and for the good of our city. (Gen. 2:18; 1 Corinth. 12:12-31)
- RECONCILE People- The very essence and nature of the Gospel message is reconciliation: God, through Jesus, reconciling the world to himself, and to one another. At Refuge, we are passionately committed to racial, ethnic, cultural, and socio-economic reconciliation in our city. (Ephes. 2:17, 18; Deut. 7:9)
- REDEEM the Broken- The world has been damaged by the fall; beauty, art, music, nature, and relationships have all been distorted by sin. The Gospel does not call us to detach from this world in hope of some heavenly abode, but rather to seek its renewal and eagerly anticipate its complete redemption and restoration. (Ephes.1; Acts 3:19-21; Rom 8:18-25)
- RADIATE into the World- Light shines brightest in the darkest of places. As redeemed children of God, we are called to shine the light of the Gospel in the darkest places of our world. While church buildings serve their purposes, our greatest presence is in the workplace, in our communities, in our homes, and in the lives of those whom we interact on a daily basis. (Matt. 22:37-40; Acts 1:8)
- REPRODUCE Disciples- While we love that the Church is a family, we also believe that we are an army. We care that every member of Refuge is equipped and challenged to know God, and to make him known. We work endlessly to rightly teach the Word of God, empower our members to reach their friends and city, and equip them for their journey through the mountains and valleys of a walk with God. (Matt. 28:18-20)
- We dream of a culturally diverse church that celebrates the differences of our people while uniting under the banner of Christ, is essential to the city, longs for its renewal, and truly sees the lives of people changed and redeemed.
- We dream of a church where families stick together, marriages are healthy, and children grow up knowing that they are loved by God, their family, and their community.
- We dream of a selfless church that is known for defending the defenseless, welcoming the outcast and lowly, protects the fatherless, and where the widow finds refuge.
- We dream of a church that attracts, equips, and empowers young leaders to make a difference for Christ in their jobs, communities, churches, and families through activism, leader- ship, art, benevolence, and advocating for those without a voice.
- We dream of a servant-led church that celebrates and learns from the wisdom of those whom have gone before us, doesn’t sell out when it gets difficult, and speaks against injustice; especially when others are silent.
- We dream of a church that is known by our love, kindness, and engagement; a church that equips our members to know God intimately, love the city, and make disciples.
- We dream of a church where people aren’t afraid to be honest with their junk, and are met with grace and love throughout their process, and are cared for by one another.
- We dream of a church that engages the lost for Christ, locally and globally, makes a dent at ending global suffering, equips leaders, and plants churches that plant churches.
- We dream of a church where the Kingdom of God is experienced here and now.